The Old East Village (OEV) is an eclectic neighbourhood unlike any other in London. Originally incorporated in 1874 as London East the area has its roots deep in industry and railroad. Its origins begin in 1856 when Murray Anderson, later to become London’s first mayor, opened the Globe Foundry Ironworks at Adelaide and Dundas along with the establishment of Lilley’s Corners in 1867. London East got its next big stimulate when Fredrick Fitzgerald founded The Imperial Oil Company (a.k.a Esso) and built one of the first of sixteen refineries in London East. This spark created a manufacturing boom and the trigger for the installation of the extensive railroad systems that now create OEV’s north and south borders.